At a time when the crypto-currencies had just appeared and were still a little-known and absolutely unpopular asset, mining was done exclusively by geeks in order to maintain and develop the very idea of crypto-currencies and worked to ensure the efficiency of the network. At that time, digital currencies were produced mainly on graphics processors. So, let’s talk about ASIC miners.
Now, when the popularity of crypto currency began to go off scale, mining has evolved from a “hobby for computer geniuses” into a very lucrative business. It was then that the question arose about the development of innovative equipment that would allow mining to be brought to a new level – industrial mining. So in China, a device based on the Bitcoin Mining chips was invented – the first ASIC miner.
What is ASIC miner: bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies?
ASIC miner for bitcoin (“Application Specific Integrated Circuit”) is a microcircuit that is configured to perform one particular type of work – to decrypt algorithms on the basis of which the cryptocurrency block is running; this is what allows it to do it much faster and better than it multi-tasking counterparts. It is worth recalling that each digital currency functions on the basis of one or another algorithm. Accordingly, the mini-sites for development are specially developed for a certain algorithm. At present, there isalso ASIC miner for Litecoin, working on the basis of the following algorithms:
- SHA-256 (bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Syscoin, Peercoin, Namecoin, etc.);
- X11 (currencies Dash, Pura, etc.);
- Ethash (currencies Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Metaverse ETP, Ubiq, etc.);
- Scrypt (currencies of Litecoin, Dogecoin, B3Coin, Bitdeal, etc.);
- Equihash (Zcash, Komodo, etc.);
- Blake (2b) (Decred, Siacoin).
From the technical point of view ASIC-miner is a unit in which there are:
- boards (chips);
- memory block that provides program work for the ASIC-miner;
- connectors for connecting external devices;
- body and connecting elements.
Types of ASIC mining
ASIC mining of Ethereumis a much less energy-intensive process than mining on video cards, respectively, the question is, what is better – ASIC or video cards, is not relevant. To catch up on the performance (which affects the ASIC quality of your video card), you will need to build a whole farm of dozens of graphics processors, but the power consumption parameter will not reach the level of the ASIC.
The first ones were incredibly compact and joined the system via USB. Of course, today such devices have already lost their relevance, as they have become unprofitable. The current generation of ASIC-miners has already more impressive sizes and they are divided into 2 types depending on the dimensions of the device, its power, and also power consumption:
Home ASIC are more compact, work almost silently, are equipped with a power supply unit up to 600 W, whereas their professional counterparts are times more cumbersome and noisy, but are much more powerful and energy efficient. Well, they also differ significantly in price.
Return on ASIC Miners
One of the most important issues in the context of the profitability of the mining business is how quickly ASICpay off. Payback ASIC-miner – this is the time through which you purchased an acer compensates for the cost of its acquisition (that is, your initial investment). It is then that the mining of digital currencies will begin to bring you the long-expected profit. It is quite logical that the payback of different devices will be different, because it depends on the following parameters:
- hashtag of the miner;
- cost of the miner;
- correctness of equipment settings of the digital currency that you mine.
At present, it is extremely simple to calculate the payback of the chosen ASIC. To help you will come the most common calculator of profitability of mining. You will simply need to select from the drop-down list the interesting ASIC, indicate your costs for mining (electricity tariff), the name of the crypto currency you are going to extract (the complexity of the network and the rate of the crypto currency influence the payback period of the equipment), and after a couple of seconds, after how long your miner will pay off.
How to assemble an ASIC-miner with your own hands
ASIC mining 2018 requires special devices. It is worth noting that the price of ASICbites and not all are ready to invest such a large amount of money into their business at the initial stage. For those who want to save, there is one very tempting option – homemade ASIC miner. But how to make ASICby yourself? Of course, for this you must have an accurate idea of what kind of assembly it is, and how it is arranged. ASIC-miner, as a rule, consists of the following elements:
- boards ASIC, which are located in special grooves in parallel to each other, and on which the chips are placed. In one miner, there are usually several boards.
- block of memory, which is a very important component of the miner, which is responsible for ensuring the full operation of the miner.
- power supply unit, which converts the alternating current into a constant one, which guarantees the stability of its supply – ASIC mining hardware. The miner itself works from an alternating current network, but the chips are powered by a constant voltage.
- fans, which also play an important role in ensuring the uninterrupted operation of the device, because they are responsible for the timely removal of heat (the process of mining is accompanied by the release of a large amount of heat) and thereby protect the device from overheating. It’s very important to use a reliable cooler in your homemade miner, or even install a few fans. Also, as a rule, radiators are installed on each of the boards for heat removal.
- connectors for communication with external devices. You should understand that the miner will need to be connected to other devices and to provide necessary outputs for this.
- housing. Of course, the fruit of your efforts should be placed in some body. In the latest models, manufacturers use an aluminum casing, as this allows for improved heat transfer. You can use both an aluminum box and a case from any other thin-walled metal. It is very important to ensure efficient removal of hot air (openings in the housing must be provided).
Before you start assembling of ASICfor mining, you must draw a diagram, purchase all necessary equipment, and determine the size of the device. If you are going to install a miner at home, it would do well to make it as compact as possible, and also take care of noise insulation (use a special box). In addition, it is necessary to calculate the profitability of your home-made ass, because your creation may well be ineffective. To calculate the approximate cost of mining, use the ASIC mining calculator.